THE
SPARKS QUARTERLY
THE OFFICIAL PUBLICATION OF THE SPARKS FAMILY ASSOCIATION

"To forget one's ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root."
(An old Chinese proverb.)



 
 
 

VOL. XL No. 4   DECEMBER 1992   WHOLE NO.160a

 
 Index
Next Page
Previous Page
Previous Issue

[Here appears a photograph, beneath which is the following caption.]

GREAT-GRANDCHILDREN OF DAVID SPARKS (1794-1862)

(See page 4023 for identification)

(View photograph)

*******************
-4020-


THE SPARKS QUARTERLY, published by The Sparks Family Association.
Paul E. Sparks, President, 155 North Hite Avenue, Louisville, Kentucky (40206-2311)
Russell E. Bidlack, Secretary-Treasurer & Editor, 1709 Cherokee Road, Ann Arbor, Michigan (48104-4448)
The Sparks Family Association was founded in March, 1953, as a non-profit organi- zation devoted to the assembling and preserving of genealogical and historical materials pertaining to the Sparks Family in America.  It is exempt from federal income tax under the provisions of the Internal Revenue Code, Section 501(c)(7). Membership in the Association is open to all persons connected with the Sparks family, whether by blood, marriage, or adoption, and to persons interested in genealogical research. Membership falls into three classes: Active, Contributing, and Sustaining.  Active membership dues are $7.00 per year;  Contributing membership dues are $10.00 per year; and Sustaining membership dues are any amount over $10.00 that the member wishes to contribute for the support of the Association. All members receive THE SPARKS QUARTERLY as it is published in March, June, September, and December.  Back issues are kept in print and are available for $3.00 each to members and $4.00 each to non-members. The first issue of the QUARTERLY was published in March, 1953. Seven  indexes have been published for the years 1953 -1957, 1958 -1962, 1963 -1967, 1968 -72, 1973 -1977, 1978-1982  and 1983 -1987.  Each index is available for $5.00. A complete file of the back issues of the QUARTERLY (1953-1991), including the seven indexes, may be purchased for $235.00. Orders for back issues, as well as the complete file, should be sent to Russell E. Bidlack, 1709 Cherokee Road, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 48104-4448. The thirty-nine years of the QUARTERLY (1953 -1991) comprise a total of 3,892 pages of Sparks Family history.  The seven indexes  comprise a total of 717 additional pages.  Each individual joining the Association also receives a table of contents listing all of the articles and collections of data appearing in the QUARTERLY between 1953 and 1991.

        SOME DESCENDANTS OF MALINDA MINERVA (SPARKS) DEMPSEY

The photograph appearing on the cover of this issue of THE SPARKS QUARTERLY, as well as Those which follow, have been furnished by Christine Brannan Sundie, 8895 S.W. 116th St., Miami, FL 33176-4337.  We are pleased  to be able to share these with our readers.

The six individuals in the photograph on the cover were the children of Jesse Franklin and Elizabeth Manilla (Dempsey) Clark.  Elizabeth Manilla Dempsey was a daughter of Jesse Jackson Dempsey and his wife, Malinda Minerva Sparks.  Malinda Minerva Sparks was a daughter of David and Permelia (Medlock) Sparks.

David Sparks, a great-grandfather of these six Clark children, was born on May 19, 1794, and died on November 10, 1862.  An abstract of David Sparks's application for bounty land, based on his service in the War of 1812, appeared in the QUARTERLY of September 1960 (Whole No. 31), page 501.  Further information about him and his two children appeared in the QUARTERLY of September 1969 (Whole No. 67) pp. 1257-1265.  These two children were: (1) Malinda Minerva Sparks born in 1822; and (2) Abel Tomlin Sparks, born November 10, 1827, died January 20, 1896.  Until Mrs. Sundie sent us the photograph of Malinda Minerva's tombstone, we had been able only to guess
 
 

       ******************
-4021-

at the year of her birth.  While her and her husband's stone is obviously newer than a stone of the 1860s, we assume that the family members who placed it on their graves were correct in giving her date of birth as 1822.  From this and other family records, it appears that Malinda Minerva Sparks was known by her middle name, Minerva.
 
 

[Here appears a photograph, beneath which is the following caption.]

      THE STONE MARKING THE GRAVES OF

JESSE JACKSON AND MINERVA (SPARKS) DEMPSEY

IN THE UNION CHURCH CEMETERY, CLAY COUNTY, ALABAMA

      Photograph taken May 10, 1992

(View photograph)

David Sparks, father of Minerva (Sparks) Dempsey, was, we firmly believe, a son of Abel Sparks who was born in North Carolina about 1767 and died in Henry County, Georgia, in 1823/24.  In an article devoted to Abel Sparks appearing in the QUARTERLY of June 1987 (Whole No. 138) pp. 3062-69, we called him "Abel Sparks, the Elder" in order to distinguish him from another Abel Sparks of the same area who had been born about 1778 and died in 1872.

David Sparks served as a private in a volunteer rifle company from Morgan County, Georgia, in the War of 1812.  He volunteered in Morgan County on November 1, 1814, and was discharged at Fort Hawkins, Georgia, on May 1, 1815. A brother of David, Uriah Sparks, served in the same company for exactly the same length of time, as did also the Abel Sparks whom we are convinced was the father of David and Uriah.  Abel Sparks was then 47 years old, and we can speculate that he may have enlisted with his sons in order to look after them.

*****************
-4022-

David Sparks was living in Morgan County, Georgia, when the 1820 census was taken.  He was married to Permelia ["Milly"] Medlock who had been born on February 15, 1791, in South Carolina; she died on December 3, 1876, in Delta, Clay County, Alabama.  David Sparks had died there fourteen years earlier, on November 10, 1862.  (These dates have been preserved among the family records in the possession of Mrs. Ellene McKay Mars; she was living in Uniontown, Ohio, in 1969.)

Malinda Minerva Sparks, or Minerva Sparks as she was called, was married to Jesse Jackson Dempsey, date not discovered.  According to his tombstone, he was born in 1817 and died in 1869.  They were the parents of seven children:

Francis Marion Dempsey, born October 12, 1842, at Cave Springs, in Floyd County, Georgia, and died on April 19, 1932, in Clay County, Alabama.  He was married to Julia Clark.
Elizabeth Manilla Dempsey, born September 18, 1844; died July 23, 1895. She was married to Jesse Franklin Clark.
Sara Jane Dempsey.  She was married to John Butterworth.
Wiley Dempsey.  He was married to Maggie Rowe.
Annetter Dempsey.  She was married to David Crockett Smith.
Evelyn Dempsey.  She was married to Elijah Roberts.
Monroe Dempsey.  He died as a young man in Dallas County, Alabama.
[Here appears two photographs, beneath which are the following captions.]


Elizabeth Manilla Dempsey 
Jesse Franklin Clark
Married on Sep
tember 5, 1861
 
(View photograph)

      ********************
-4023-

Elizabeth Manilla Dempsey (1844-1895) was married on September 5, 1861, to Jesse Franklin Clark, son of Caleb and Mary (Mullins) Clark.  He had been born on October 16, 1841, and died on March 28, 1913.  Both were buried in the Union Church Cemetery in Clay County, Alabama.  They were the parents of six children:

a. John Quincy Adams Clark, born August 15, 1863, died August 9, 1937. He was married to Frances Lou Jeane Lugene [?] Bannister.  (Spelling of "Lugene is uncertain.)

[Scanner's note:  For correction see SQ p. 4246.]

b. Rebecca Jane Theodosia Clark, born August 30, 1865, died December 25, 1951.  She was married to Rufus Allan Adams.

c. Mary Ann Manilla Elizabeth Washington Clark, born April 17, 1868, died November 2, 1964.  He was married to James Albert Adams.

d. Jesse Franklin Henry Scott Clark, born November 30, 1871, died March 2, 1944.  He was married to Effie Roberta Strickland.

e. Roxie Etta Lydia Sophronia Clark, born April 14, 1876, died April 8, 1952. She was married to James Ancel Strickland.

f. Draper Anderson Lafayette Clark, born December 20, 1878, died March 27, 1948.  He was married to Izella Shaddix.

In the photograph on the cover, the three sons stood, left to right, in the order of their birth; likewise, the three daughters sat in the order of their birth.

An interesting heirloom owned by descendants of Elizabeth Manilla (Dempsey) Clark is her "Infare Day dress." This was worn by her on September 6, 1861, the day following her wedding.  (See photo on p. 4024.)  As explained by Mrs. Sundie:

Infare Day, as it was known in that day and in that area, was the day following a wedding.  It seems the wedding would be solemnized either at the church or in the bride's home, to be followed by entertainment provided by the bride's family.  The bride would wear her wedding dress on that occasion.  The next day, the newly-married couple would go to the groom's home, where his parents would entertain for them (many of the guests attending both events).  The bride had another dress to be worn on this second day, which was called "Infare Day." As stated in the dictionary, "infare" has to do with transition,  or going from one state of affairs to another.

Elizabeth Manilla's "Infare Day" dress was lovely.  It was a dark green, sort of a brocade, with yoke, cuffs, etc., of matching velvet.  It had a bustle.  She must have been rather tall, and with a tiny waist.  The buttons are as pretty today as they were in 1861.

Mrs. Sundie tells an interesting story of a cypress tree that yet grows alongside the highway between Union Church and Lineville in Clay County, Alabama.  It was brought by Francis Marion Dempsey in 1849 from the banks of the Mississippi River.  Jesse and Minerva (Sparks) Dempsey had been en route (migrating) from Alabama to Arkansas, following relatives who had moved there.  They spent the winter of 1842/43 living in a cave near what is now Cave Springs, Georgia.  According to family tradition, it was there that Francis Marion Dempsey was born on October 12, 1842.  Mrs. Sundie notes that "they either visited for some time, or looked around with the thought of settling; then came back to Alabama." At whatever point they crossed the Mississippi River on their return in 1849, young Francis Marion dug up the cypress bush and brought it to Alabama in a bucket suspended from a pole at the rear of their wagon.  It was transplanted near a
spring in the Shinbone Valley where it took root and has continued to flourish some sixty years after Francis Marion's death in 1932.

******************
-4024-

[Here appears a photograph, beneath which is the following caption.]

        THE INFARE DAY DRESS OF

        ELIZABETH MANILLA (DEMPSEY) CLARK --1861

      [Daughter of Jesse Jackson a Malluda Minerva (Sparks) Dempsey]

        (See page 4023)

(View photograph)

*****************
-4025-

        FURTHER NOTES ON THE LIFE AND FAMILY OF WILLIAM SPARKS (DIED 1709)

        OF QUEEN ANNES COUNTY, MARYLAND

        By Russell E. Bidlack

Based on many years of research conducted by Dr. Paul E. Sparks and the present writer, along with our correspondence through the years with members of The Sparks Family Association, it has become apparent that a remarkably large number of Sparks descendants living in the U.S. today can claim the William Sparks who died in Queen Annes County, Maryland, in 1709 as their immigrant ancestor.  Each of his four sons had large families, and we have identified thirty-five of his grandchildren.  In succeeding generations over three centuries, these numbers have multiplied, and we are certain that, if we could identify all of his descendants today, they would number in the tens of thousands.  For this reason, we believe that it is appropriate to share with our readers some additional facts regarding William Sparks.

Through the years, we have published a number of articles pertaining to William Sparks (died 1709) and his children.  Our most detailed account of his life appeared in the QUARTERLY of March 1971, Whole No. 73, pp. 1381-89.  In an earlier issue, that of December 1970, Whole No. 72, Dr. Paul E. Sparks explained the system by which the proprietors of the colony of Maryland encouraged immigration in the 17th century.  We quote from Dr. Sparks's article:

That part of North America now called Maryland was first settled by white people in 1631 when William Claiborne came over from the colony of Virginia and established a trading post on Kent Island.  He remained without neighbors until 1634 when the first colonists, led by Leonard Calvert, arrived from England in the vessels called the ARK and the DOVE, and founded the county of St. Marys.  The future of the colony (named Terrae

Marie or Maryland in honor of Queen Henrietta Maria) was assured.  Thereafter, settlers from England poured in by shipload after shipload.

Each freeman who came to Maryland was given 100 acres of land for himself, his wife, and each child over age sixteen.  In addition, he was given 50 acres for each child under age sixteen and for each "servant" he brought with him.  "Servants" were persons brought in for hire and obligated to work or in some other manner pay for their transportation.  In general, these persons were farmers, mechanics, masons, carpenters, shipbuilders, and often they were educated clerks and teachers.
Generally speaking, the lot of a servant was not especially unpleasant. The indenture usually lasted from two to six years, and at the end provision was made to give him or her a degree of independence.  In the case of a male servant, he was given fifty acres of land, an ox, a gun, two hoes, and a modest amount of clothing.  If the servant were a female, she received a skirt, waistcoat, apron, smock, cap, shoes and stockings, and three barrels of Indian corn.
This provision for encouraging new colonists proved so popular that seven years after the colony was established the land allowance was reduced from 100 acres to 50 acres for adults and to 25 acres for each child under age sixteen.  In like manner, the early liberal allowance of land for transporting colonists was tightened.  Initially the transportation of five men was worth 2000 acres, but in 1636 this was changed to require the transportation of ten men for this amount of land, and in 1641 it was again changed to
*****************
-4026-

FURTHER NOTES ON WILLIAM SPARKS (died 1709), OF QUEEN ANNES CO., MD., continued:

require twenty men and women to be worth 2000 acres.
In many cases, the servant paid for his transportation by simply transferring the acreage he was to receive as a new colonist to the person who transported him.  In turn, the person who provided the transportation might transfer his right to the land to another person who had no actual part in arranging or providing the transportation.

The system was finally abolished in 1683.


Our reason for including this description of immigration to Maryland during much of the seventeenth century is because we believe, although we cannot prove beyond any doubt, that the William Sparks who died in 1709 in Queen Annes County was the same William Sparks who had been brought to Maryland in 1662 by a man named Thomas Skillington.  (On page 1363 of the December 1970 issue of the QUARTERLY, Whole No. 72, we mistakenly copied his name as Thomas Skillingham, and this error was repeated on page 1381 of the March 1971 issue, Whole No. 73.)

Dr. Sparks noted in his 1970 article, cited above, that the records of the assigning of land to persons transporting themselves or others to Maryland are preserved at the Maryland Hall of Records in Annapolis.  We have obtained a photographic copy of each of the two records pertaining to William Sparks who came to Maryland in 1662.  The first of these is found in Liber 6, called "Patents," page 71, entry #359. and reads as follows:

I Thomas Skillington of the province of Maryland do assign unto George Richardson all my right and Title of these following Rights of Land first For Thomas Skillington and Mary his wife, William Sparks, Servants in all Six Ann Powell, Mary Webb, John Green as witness my hand this 2d of the 10 Month 1663.
[signed]  Thomas Skillington


From the wording of this transfer of Skillington's claim for land, it is difficult to determine the status of William Sparks.  It appears that Ann Powell, Mary Webb, and John Green were definitely "servants," but William Sparks may not have been a servant, but was simply one of the six persons entitled to land.

The manner in which Skillington wrote the date of this transfer of his "Rights of Land" to Richardson is significant.  In other entries on this same page, as well as on preceding and succeeding pages, the name of the month is given. Members of the Quaker faith, however, refused to use what they considered to be pagan names for the months in the Julian calendar, and substituted numbers. Under the Julian calendar, which would continue to be used in England and her colonies until 1752, March 25th was designated as the beginning of each new year. March was thus considered to be the first month while February was considered to be the twelfth month.  Thus, when Skillington dated his transfer of land rights to Richardson as "this 2d of the 10 Month 1663," he substituted the number 10 for the month of December.  The date of this transfer under the Julian calendar was thus December 2, 1663.

Although we have found no further references to Thomas Skillington in relationship to William Sparks, there is further reason to believe that Skillington was a  Quaker.  An entry appears in the minutes of the Third Haven Meeting of the Quaker denomination in Maryland which reads: "Kenellam Skillington of Talbot County, planter, and Lydia Craxtill, late of Barbados, spinster, married 20 8th month, 1692, at home of Thomas Skillington."

The next entry (#372) among Maryland's land patents in Liber 6 containing a reference to William Sparks is dated January 5, 1663.  Under the Julian calendar,

****************
-4027-

FURTHER NOTES ON WILLIAM SPARKS (died 1709), OF QUEEN ANNES CO., MD., continued:

the year 1663 extended from what would, under the Gregorian Calendar, have been March 25, 1663, through March 24, 1664.  Under the Gregorian calendar (in use in England and America after 1752), entry #372 was made just a month and three days after entry #359, quoted above.

Entry #372 reveals that George Richardson obtained a warrant for 1300 acres of land based on his being credited with transporting himself and a Mary Richardson, who may have been his wife, along with twenty-four others.  These included the six individuals whose transportation had been "assigned" to him by Thomas Skillington, plus six others that had been transported by Robert Blurkhorse and likewise assigned to him, along with four individuals transported by John Edmondson and also assigned to Richardson.

We can assume that Richardson rewarded Skilllington, Blurkhorse, and Edmondson in some manner for transferring these land rights to him.  In the transcription of the entire text of entry #359 which follows, it will be seen that the name of Thomas and Mary Skillington was mistakenly spelled "Skillinson" and that William Sparks was called "William Sparke."

[Liber 6, Entry #372, dated 5th January 1663 (i.e. 1664 under the Gregorian Calendar) Punctuation has been added for clarity in this transcription.]

Then came George Richardson and demands Land for the transportation of himself in Anno 1661, Mary Richardson in 1663, Thomas Hayward in 1662, Elizabeth Clarke 1661, Anthony Wilson 1659; John Skitters 1656; Thomas Skillinson 1653; Mary Skillinson 1660, William Sparke [and] Ann Powell in 1662, Mary Webb 1661.  John Green 1663, John Gary 1660, Jno Morfett [?] 1663, were Entered by Robert Blurkhorse, ditto die, assigned unto the said Richardson.  Francis Devine [and] Mary Devine 1660, Edward Goodman 1656, Robert Stapleford 1661, Richard Richardson 1663, Elizabeth Cordrass 1661.  Ditto Richardson Enters more rights, Viz:  William Lile 1653, Priscilla Lile 1656; John Cooke, James Graner, John Housmond, and Susanna Eastneck, these four assignd him from John Edmondson as per assignment.

          Warrant Issued, ditto die, in the said Richardsons Name for 1300 Acres, being for all the above mentioned Rights, returneable 5th July next.

While George Richardson spelled Thomas and Mary Skillington's name as "Skillinson," and William Sparks as "William Sparke," there can be no doubt that the six immigrants whose land rights he had acquired from Thomas Skillington (Entry #359) were among those for whom he subsequently obtained his warrant for 1,300 acres of Maryland land.  It should be noted that Entry #372 also identifies the precise year (1662) that William Sparks came to America.  Again, we must emphasize, however, that we have no compelling proof that he was the same William Sparks (died 1709) for whom we have many subsequent Maryland records.  Their being the same person, however, seems highly probable.

In the article on William Sparks (who died in 1709) appearing in the March 1971 issue of the QUARTERLY, we told of the deed by which he and Thomas Heather purchased jointly a tract of 100 acres of land in Talbot County, Maryland, located in that part of Talbot County which was cut off in 1706 to become Queen Annes County.  Sparks and Heather made this purchase on July 17, 1672, paying a total of 5,600 pounds of tobacco.  (Tobacco was a common medium of currency at that time in Virginia as well as in Maryland.)  This 100-acre tract was described as "Lying and being on the North Side of St. Michaels River." It had been laid out initially for Francis Martin, but the owner who sold it to Sparks and Heather was Richard Pernes.

***************
-4028-

FURTHER NOTES ON WILLIAM SPARKS (died 1709), OF QUEEN ANNES CO., MD., continued:

When we published the March 1971 article, we had not discovered the Talbot County deed dated September 17, 1677 (Talbot Co. Land Record GG#:85-87) by which Thomas Heather (spelled "Hatherd" in the deed), with the consent of his wife, Anna, sold to William Sparks his share (50 acres) of this 100-acre tract.  In this deed, both Sparks (spelled Sparkes) and Heather were described as then being residents of Talbot County, but what is especially interesting about this 1677 deed is that it reveals that it was on this same 100-acre tract that "the said Sparkes now liveth."  The tract, as we have noted, was located on "the north side of St. Michaels River." Today, this river is called "Miles River."  It is in what is now the southern portion of Queen Annes County.

As we noted on page 1381 of the March 1971 issue of the QUARTERLY, there is a Talbot County record dated October 16, 1677, which was just a month after Heather sold his interest in the land to Sparks, in which Heather acknowledged a debt to Sparks of 20,000 pounds of tobacco.  How Heather became indebted to Sparks for this rather sizeable amount, we do not know.  It seems probable, however, that what was described as a "valuable consideration" as Heather's compensation when he sold his share of the 100-acre tract to Sparks was actually in the form of a reduction in his debt to Sparks.  Thomas Heather and William Sparks were obviously neighbors and close associates over a period of many years.  We wonder whether there might have been a family relationship.

The finding of the September 17, 1677, deed disproves our statement at the bottom of page 1381 that "there is no evidence that William Sparks ever lived on the land on St. Michaels River." We now know that he and his family were, indeed, living there in the autumn of 1677 and had probably been living there since 1672.

As noted on page 1381 of the QUARTERLY, William Sparks and his wife, Mary, sold this tract of 100 acres for 10,000 pounds of tobacco to Alexander Ray on July 21, 1696.  However, it must have been considerably before 1696 that William Sparks had moved his family a few miles north to the 250-acre tract of land called "Sparks Choice" on the east side of Chester River. We do not have the exact date of his purchase of this larger tract, for which he chose the name "Sparks Choice," but it was about 1681.

One of the most important documents found thus far to provide insight into the life of William Sparks is his will dated June 21, 1709, and probated on October 24, 1709.  (From these dates we know that William Sparks died between June 21 and October 24, 1709.)  The full text of William Sparks's will was transcribed on pp. 1387-88 of the March 1971 issue.  In his will, William Sparks provided for each of his four sons (William Sparks, Jr. born about 1674; George Sparks, born about 1678; John Sparks, born about 1680; and Joseph Sparks, who was not yet of age when his father made his will in 1709.)  William Sparks also provided for a grandson named Charles Hynson, who was apparently the child of a deceased daughter of William and Mary Sparks.  We have not discovered the daughter's name.

*******************
-4029-

FURTHER NOTES ON WILLIAM SPARKS (died 1709), OF QUEEN ANNES CO., MD., continued:

We know from a number of sources that the wife of William Sparks had the given name Mary, but we have found no clue by which we can identify her maiden surname.  She was living at the time that William Sparks made his will, and he provided for her in a way that was typical at the time.

After the payment of his debts, of which there were very few, and the distribution of his specific bequests, William Sparks directed that one-third of his remaining personal estate be inherited by his wife, but she was to have the control and use of all of his personal property so long as she remained his widow, that is, so long as she did not remarry.  She was also to have possession of what William Sparks described as "my now Dwelling planta[tion], with all its appurts (i.e., appurtenants) and the Land belonging to the Same ... dureing her widowhood." He added, however, that "if my said wife, Mary Sparkes, does marry again then to have no more than her third of my Said Land and plantation dureing her life ..." At the close of his will, William Sparks appointed "my wife, Mary Sparks, and my Son, William Sparks, to be the Exrs. [i.e. executors] of this my Last will and Testamt."

Since preparing the 1971 article, cited earlier, in which we gave the full text of the will of William Sparks, we have obtained copies of additional documents contained in the probate file of his estate.  These papers were maintained originally by the Queen Annes County probate court, but they are now preserved at the Maryland Hall of Records in Annapolis.

The first of these documents, after the will, is dated October 8, 1709, and is a bond in the amount of "four hundred pounds Sterling currant Money of England & quot; with John Hawkins, Jr. and John Nabb, both of Queen Annes County, as guarantors, that "Mary Sparks and William Sparks [Jr.], Executors of the last Will and Testament of William Sparks, Sen., late of Queen Ann's County, deceas'd, do make or cause to be made a true & perfect Inventory of all & singular the goods Chaitells and credits of the said deceased, appraised in Money ..." Mary Sparks and her son, William, Jr., were given until "the 24th day of Janry next ensuing" to complete the inventory, and they were given one year to pay the debts charged against the estate as well as to carry out each provision contained in William Sparks's will.  Both Mary Sparks and her son, William, Jr., signed this bond by mark, Mary drawing the initial "M" and William the initial "W." (See below a photographic reproduction of this part of the bond.)  The two sureties for the bond, John Hawkins, Jr. and John Nabb, signed their names. There were three witnesses as well:  Thomas Trickey, Robert Thomas, and Johanna Nabb.  Thomas Trickey and Johanna Nabb signed by mark.  Johanna was probably the wife of John Nabb.  Robert Thomas was a county official whose title was "Deputy Commissary."  Thomas Trickey was a neighbor of  the Sparkses; he had also been a witness to William Sparks's mark (signature) when Sparks had made his will in the previous June.  The person who wrote Thomas Trickey's name for him spelled it Tricky, but in most records it appears as Trickey.

[Here appears a photographic reproduction of the bottom portion of the above-described bond.]

(View reproduction)

        ********************
-4030-

FURTHER NOTES ON WILLIAM SPARKS (died 1709), OF QUEEN ANNES CO., MD., continued:

It was on January 25, 1710, that an inventory was taken of the personal property that had belonged to William Sparks.  The inventory was made by John Hawkins, Jr. and John Hackett, both of whom were neighbors of the Sparkses.

Readers are reminded that the old Julian Calendar was still in use in England and her colonies at the time William Sparks's estate was settled, and it would continue to be used until 1752.  The Gregorian Calendar, however, was then in use in most European countries.  The new year began, according to the Julian Calendar, on March 25th, hence the period from January 1 to March 25, 1710, under the Gregorian Calendar, was still 1709 under the old Julian Calendar.  Because of the commercial intercourse between England and Europe, many legal documents in both England and America written between January 1st and March 25th prior to 1752 (when England finally adopted the Gregorian Calendar) were "double dated," i.e., a slash or line would follow the Julian Calendar year, then the year according to the Gregorian Calendar would be added.  Thus, the
inventory for the estate of William Sparks bears the date "25th day of Janeroy 1709-10."

This Inventory of the personal property owned by William Sparks at the time of his death in 1709 provides an interesting view of the life style of a prosperous Maryland farmer at the beginning of the 18th century.  Dr. Sparks has transcribed the list of his possessions as recorded in the inventory; where he was uncertain of the word intended, he added a question mark enclosed in brackets. The standard abbreviations were used in the inventory for pounds (L,), shillings (S), and pence (d).  (The "d" for pence came from the Latin word for penny, "denarius.")

A Trew and perficke Inventory of all and Singley the goods and Chattels Wrights and credits of Wm. Sparks of queen Anns County Law enfoefd and Aprisd in Money by we hose hands are under written this 20th day of Janeroy 1709 -10.
Pounds Shillings Pence
To: Waring apparell  2 02 0
To: a pare of Leather Briches  0 07 0
To: a parcel of old Books  0 94 0
To: 11 yrs of ofan brigs [?J  0 05 6
To: an old Raser 0 00 6
To: 7 yrs of flannel  0 14 8
To: 1 feather Bed and Linin in the new house  4 10 0
To: 1 old feather Bed and old furniture in the new house . 1 10 0
To: 1 feather Bed and furniture in the old house  1 10 0
To: 1 Chist of Drawers  1 00 0
To: 2 Tables and Firens [?]  2 00 0
To: 1 horse cauld Scott  4 00 0
To:  1 horse cald [blank]  3 10 0
To: D0  cauld Chance  4 00 0
To: D0  cauled Hailor  3 10 0
To: 6 sickels and hooks  0 07 0
To: a Small Tub of feathers 0 07 0
To: a parcell of unbroke flack 0 10 0
To: 3 old cases of botels  0 10 0
To: 8 quart botels  0 19 19
To: 2 old ladle  0 02 0
To: 2 old Lotts of windger etc. [?]  0 05 0
To: old Crescent Saw & file  0 08 0
To: hansaw  0 01 0
To: 1 pare of Stilards & balance  0 04 0
To: 1 chafing dish & Lockett 0 02 0
To: 4 old bands  0 02 0
To: 1 old adz and handel  0 02 0
To: 1 old augur and hamer 0 01 6
To: 1 old drawing Knife  0 01 6
To:  4 Spike gimbletts  0 00 6
To: 3 Fanting acks  0 01 6
To: 2 old broad acks & cut knife  0 03 0
To: 1 old frow and millpaks  0 01 0
To: a parsell of old iron  0 02 0
To: a set of weeding plow irons  0 04 6
To: 2 old plow shar and colter  0 10 0
To:   1 old hand mill  0 10 0
To: a cask & whole with rings  1 00 0
To: 1 old cart collar & saddle  0 08 0
To: 2 collar and tanse  0 08 0
To: 1 old saddall  0 08 0
To:  1 old Gun  0 15 0
To: 2 putor Chamber potts  0 02 0
To: 15 spoons  0 02 6
To: 1 putor bason  0 01 0
To: 1 putor Tankard & Tumbler  0 00 10
To: 1 old poringer and Sawsar  0 00 6
To: 5 putor dishes  0 15 0
To:  9 putor plates 0 04 6
To: 1 mustard pott Tin 0 00 6
To: 1 brass drinking glass  0 01 0
To: 1 brass Skillit  0 03 6
To: 1 brass candell stick  0 00 6
To: 1 Boamshall spieomortor [?]  0 03 0
To: 1 Iron candell stick  0 00 6
To: 1 small Smoothing iron  0 04 6
To: 1 seimer 0 00 2
To:   3 Iron Potts  0 15 0
To: 1 Fring Pan 0 01 6
To: 1 Pare of Fier Tongs  0 01 6
To: 1 Pare of Flesh Fork and Ladell 0 00 6
To:  2 Leather Charer [?]  0 03 0
To: 1 Larg Wooden Chaircold  0 05 0
To: 1 wooling Spinning Whell 0 07 0
To: 1 old couch  0 04 0
To:  4 old Chists  0 16 0
To: 1 old Trunk  0 04 0
To: 1 old Cubord  0 10 0
To: 1 Small Looking Glass  0 01 6
 *****************
-4032-
FURTHER NOTES ON WILLIAM SPARKS (died 1709), OF QUEEN ANNES CO., MD., continued:
Inventory of estate of William Sparks (died 1709), continued:
Pounds Shillings Pence
To: 2 warming pan  0 4 0
a harrow with Iron Teeth  0 07 0
2 Sifters and one straner  0 01 6
2 Sifting Trays  0 03 0
2 pales 1 pign 1 1/2 cups  [?] and 1 chien [?] 0 05 0
old bales 0 04 06
Erthen Pans a Stue potte and 8 erthen butter pans 0 03 0
2 new mault bags [?]  1 old do 0 04 0
1 bushall of Salt  0 03 0
7 old Tubs & 2 Ston gars  0 08 0
8 Fifty Gallon Casques old 0 12 0
 Thirty Gallon Casque old 0 04 0
3 forty Gall Casque 0 07 0
2 pipes old 2 [--?--]  8 08 0
3 runlitts 0 01 06+
2 old Whell barrows  0 03 0
1 old lard bag [?] 0 00 08
1 small Iron gug  0 00 08
2 cannews  0 15 0
1 Chospes [?]  0 07 0
6 Cows and Calves 2 heifers and Calves  14 00 0
4 four year old steers  7 00 0
1 four year old bull  1 5 0
2 Three year old heifers  1 5 0
1 five year old steer  2 0 0
3 barein Cows  4 10 0
4 Two year old steers and 2 Two year old heifers  4 10 0
3 yearlings  2 0 0
1 calf 0 03 0
27 sheep  8 02 0
7 Two year old barrows  3 10 0
6 Sows and 9 Shoats 4 10 0
1 young barrow  0 08 0
1 grater 0 00 5
1 pr of Spaniel & common chains  0 06 0
1 pare of Woosteed Comes [?]  0 07 0
37 bushals of wheat  6 09 03
12 bushels of oatts  1 04 0
8 barils Ingin Corn 4 00 0
750 pd of Tobacco at 1d  pr 3 02 6
1 Tobacco cask  0 00 6
Thomas Honey pr ares 500 [?] 2 01 5
atto by the County fore Cathrin Jnoson  [--?--]  6 05 0
--------------- ----------------- -------------
76 19 02
Sume Totall  126 06 08
[signed]  John Hawkins Jr
[signed]  John Hackett
Index
Next Page
Previous Page
Previous Issue

Scanning edited by James J. Sparks